Welcome to The Trail of Painted Ponies. Here you will find answers to the most commonly asked questions from collectors.
Would you like to know the current perceived value of your Painted Ponies figurine or collection? Click here.
Click on the categories below to answer your questions:
1. How many Original Painted Ponies are there? There are 150 Life-size Painted Ponies, 40 Masterwork Painted Ponies and more than 100 Maquette Painted Ponies. There are also 5 Original Masterpieces.
2. How do Artists submit designs for Original Painted Ponies? Artists may email or mail their designs to The Trail of Painted Ponies offices for consideration. Artists may also submit photos of completed designs on Paint Your Own Pony Kits. Finally, artists are invited to enter all of The Trail of Painted Ponies Competitions and Contests. Click Here to learn more.
1. Do all the figurines begin as original works of fine art?
Yes. The Trail of Painted Ponies takes pride in all of the authentic, original artwork that is created by select artists throughout the country and around the world. As opposed to many collectibles that are generated solely for the collectible market, The Trail of Painted Ponies figurines and merchandise all begin as original works-of-art. The Trail of Painted Ponies figurines are meticulously crafted miniature works-of-art that were initially created as life-size Ponies, Masterworks, Maquettes or Paint Your Own Pony Kit Ponies. Many original Painted Ponies are sold through the Official Painted Ponies Website.
2. Are all the Painted Ponies pictured in The Trail of Painted Ponies books available as figurines?
No. The books are not a catalog, although in the back of the books you will find a section that contains all the Painted Ponies that have been crafted as figurines at the time the book was printed. For a current list of Painted Ponies, please visit the Collectors Checklist.
3. How many figurines have been created?
There have been 310 Painted Ponies figurines in total crafted to date including 50 Holiday Painted Ponies, 10 Exclusive Painted Ponies, 4 Four Seasons Collection Painted Ponies, 1 Masterpiece Collection Pony and 2 Celebrity Collection figurines.
4. How do you decide which figurines to cast in resin and which in ceramic?
When embellishments, or details are added to the design of an original Painted Pony that add dimension, the Painted Pony will be cast in resin. If the original Painted Pony is created in a simple graphic design it will usually be cast in ceramic and the design will be hand-painted or a high-resolution decal will be hand applied.
5. How often are new figurines announced, how many figurines are in each release?
There are four figurine releases each year: Winter Release, Spring Release, Summer Release and the Fall Release. Each release includes four new Painted Ponies, and the Summer Release also includes four new Holiday Ponies. For figurine announcements visit the Official Painted Ponies Website.
6. What does the numbering on the bottom of the figurine mean?
The first number on the bottom of the Painted Pony is the Edition Number. This number will have an “E” after it (example: 1E, 2E, 3E). The second number refers to the number of that particular Painted Pony in reference to the Edition that it was created in. This number will be between 1 and 10,000, since there are 10,000 Painted Ponies in each Edition.
7. When a new release is announced, how long will it take to be shipped?
Generally, it takes one to four months from the time a new herd is released to when it is shipped to retail stores and the Official Painted Ponies Store. Autographed Editions, take an additional two weeks for the artists to sign their figurines.
8. How do you decide which figurines to Retire and when are they announced?
Every year we Retire a number of Painted Ponies – or as we prefer to say, “We put them out to pasture.” Various considerations come into play: how well that particular Painted Pony is performing in the marketplace, whether we have other Ponies with a similar design that we would like to introduce. Sometimes, we will also Retire a Painted Pony that is very popular!
9. How do I purchase a Retired Painted Pony or Autographed Figurine from a previous release?
You may purchase these figurines through The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store.
10. How many Exclusive Painted Ponies have been created and where can I purchase them?
There have been ten Exclusive Painted Ponies created, and they are:
If you would like to purchase any of these Exclusive Painted Ponies, please contact us by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone toll free: 1 (480) 459-5700, Ext 0#.
11. What is the “Official Autographed Edition”?
Painted Ponies figurines have become one of the most popular collectibles in America. Certain factors add to their collectibility and enhance their perceived value: whether the figurine is hand-signed by the artist; if the figurine is retired; and if the edition number is low. As a way of creating value and assuring collectors that the signatures on the Painted Ponies are authentic, we created the Official Autographed Edition. It consists of a limited number first edition Painted Ponies, hand-signed and hand-numbered by the artist. Each is accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity that is also hand-signed and hand-numbered by the artist. These Official Autographed Editions are available exclusively through The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store, and select retailers across the country. These are the ONLY Painted Ponies that the artist both hand-signs and hand-numbers that come with Official Certificates of Authenticity, and they are all Limited Editions.
12. My Painted Pony is missing the Story Card and original box. Can I get either of these replaced?
We do not overprint the Story Cards, or produce extra boxes for the Painted Ponies. However, you may download the Story Cards from our Official Painted Ponies Website by Clicking Here.
13. Are The Trail of Painted Ponies figurines lead-free?
Yes, both The Trail of Painted Ponies figurines and the Jeweled Gift Boxes are lead-free. They are carefully sculpted and painted using the finest materials and Lead-Free paints.
14. Where are The Trail of Painted Ponies figurines crafted?
Our figurines are miniature works-of-art that are hand-crafted in China and Thailand. We use the finest collectible companies in the world, and work hard to bring collectors the best quality and value available.
15. What is the difference between Blue Ribbon Edition and Standard Edition figurines?
Blue Ribbon Edition figurines are the very first twelve castings of a particular design. First Editions, Numbers 0001 through 0012. Blue Ribbon figurines are available exclusively on the Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store. To shop Blue Ribbon Editions please Click Here.
What is the Happy Trails Collection?
2. How is the Happy Trails Collection different from the classic Painted Pony figurines?
1. What is the Celebrations Collection?
To view and order the Celebrations Collection from Official Painted Ponies Store, Click Here.
1. How do I purchase The Trail of Painted Ponies figurines or merchandise? You may purchase The Trail of Painted Ponies figurines and merchandise directly through The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store. To visit, please Click Here.
2. Can I purchase a gift certificate from The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store? Gift certificates are not currently available from The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store. However, this feature may be offered in the future. Please keep checking The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store for this update. You may also sign up for a Wish List when you create an account on The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store, which can be sent to anyone. To create an account Click Here.
3. What are the shipping costs for orders (non-international) placed through The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store? Shipping costs are based on the amount of your order, the location that it is being shipped to, and the shipping method that you choose. You will be given the shipping options and costs during the checkout process.
4. Does The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store ship internationally? Yes. When you proceed to the checkout on The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store, you will be given the option to ship internationally to specific countries. Please note: there are some countries that we cannot ship to internationally.
5. What are the shipping costs for international orders placed through The Trail of Painted Ponies Official Store? The price of international shipping is determined by location, the cost of your order and the weight of your package. You will be shown the cost of your international shipment during the checkout process. You will have the option to decline the purchase of your items if you do not wish to complete the order.
6. When you Pre-Order figurines, how long will it take to ship them? Generally one to four months.
1. How should I display my Painted Ponies Collection?
2. How can I repair a broken figurine?
3. How can I find out what the perceived value of a particular Painted Pony is? The “perceived value” of any particular Painted Pony depends on a number of factors. We recommend checking on eBay for the same figurine with a similiar edition number to find the current "perceived value." When searching on eBay, be sure to look for the price a figurine has sold for to get the most accurate price. We do know that Autographed, Retired and Low Edition Painted Ponies appreciate quickly in value.
4. Tips for Authenticating 1E Painted Ponies in the 1st and 2nd Releases:
Thank you to the individuals that contributed with the compilation of this information and most notably the members of the Painted Ponies Chat Message Board, sometimes known as the "Pony Posse."
1. What type of merchandise has The Trail of Painted Ponies crafted to complement the figurines? The Trail of Painted Ponies has created a broad range of fine merchandise including: Ornaments, Jeweled Gift Boxes, Clothing, Candles, Art Glass and more.
2. How many ornaments have been created? There have been 65 resin Trail of Painted Ponies Ornaments crafted to date. In addition to the resin ornaments, there have also been 6 Blown Glass Ornaments crafted. The resin ornaments are announced with the Summer Release each year.
1. How many books has The Trail of Painted Ponies published and what are the titles? The Trail of Painted Ponies has published several Best-Selling books including: The Trail of Painted Ponies, The Trail of Painted Ponies Second Edition, The Trail of Painted Ponies Third Edition, The Trail of Painted Ponies Collectors Edition, The Trail of Painted Ponies Updated Collectors Edition and The Trail of Painted Ponies: Anniversary Edition. The Trail has also published a small inspirational book titled Ride the Sky along with the award-winning coffee-table book American ArtParades. The newest book is A Painted Ponies Christmas, which features Holiday Ponies set in backgrounds inspired by vintage Christmas cards with inspirational quotes. The Trail of Painted Ponies also promotes the award-winning book Children’s Prayers for America.
1. Has The Trail of Painted Ponies donated to or helped any philanthropic organizations? The Trail of Painted Ponies continues to support worthy non-profit organizations. To date we have helped raise over 1 million dollars to support youth, education, animals, the arts and the environment. For more information on The Trail of Painted Ponies Philanthropic Partnerships, Click Here.
Below is a list of the many non-profit organizations that we have partnered with and supported over the years:
1. Altered Tails
39. Humane Society of the United States International Guardian Angels Outreach